Current Weather at Strickley

Saturday 2 April 2011

Strickley before the Robinsons

A word of warning - this is quite a long post!

For the past few years I have been expanding the family tree (started by Henry's dad in 1975) and can trace Henry's family back to 17th Century with a fair degree of accuracy (and help from other researchers), but the family never settled at Strickley until 1875. The farm history is a big project waiting for me to get stuck into. We know who was living here in 1841 (the first complete census year).
William Edmonson took over the tenancy in 1822, from William Speight.
We can see who was here in 1851, 1861 and 1871 from the censuses (is that the right spelling?).
1851

1861


1871

And by the 1881 census, the Robinsons had arrived.

But we now know a bit more. A fortnight ago a keen (very keen) genealogist from America called at Strickley . Bridget Machell from Georgia, USA, is researching her family history (in a much, much more professional and in depth way than I have ever done) and knew that her ancestor Leonard Maychell was living at Strickley in 1718. He was mentioned in the administration of his brother-in-law's(William Denison) will in March 1718. Bridget has scanned the will and painstakingly transcribed most of it. Some is in Latin (not quite the classical Latin I did at KHS in the sixties). I have added  the scans and copied the transcriptions





Latin (partially translated)
…………………………………….……………Margrettam Denison of
Whinfell parish of Kirkby Kendal in County of Westmorland widow relict
& Leonardam Maychell of Strickley in New Hutton in County aforesaid
……………………………………………………………………………
……………………………………………………………………………
……………………………………………………………………………
……………………………………………………………………………
7 day March Anno Domini 1718

The Condition of this obligation is such That if the above bounden Margaret Dennison shall do well & truly Execute & perform the Last Will & Testament of William Dennison late of Harad in the parish of Kirkby Kendal deceased & do pay all his Debts & Legacies so far as his Goods will Extend & the Law shall bind her if also she do Exhibit into Court a true & perfect Inventory of the Deceased[’]s Goods & personal Estate & Give the Court a true & just Accompt thereof when she shall be thereunto Lawfully called That then this obligation to be void or also in force.


Sign
Margretta Dennison
Leonard Maitshall

Sealed & Delivered
in the presence of Us

Marma: _ambert
James Holmes

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
In the name of God Amen February 24 1718 I William Denison of Harad in Whinfell and in the County of Westmorland being in good and perfect Remembrance praise be God for the same do make and ordain this my Last will and testament as follows Imprimis I commit my soul into the hand of Almighty God hoping to have full pardon for all my sins through Jesus Christ my Redeemer and my body to be buried at the discretion of my wife and Relations and as such worldly goods as God has been pleased to endow me with all I give and bequeath as follows First I give to my daughter Mary twenty pounds if she Attains the age of twenty one years of age but if she die before then I give and bequeath that twenty pounds as follows Item I give to Leonard Metchal[’s] Children twenty shillings a piece and to Robert Denison five pounds and to Robert[’s] daughter three pounds and to George Ayrey[’s] son three pounds and to George[’s] daughter two pounds and all these Legacies if not to be paid till after the decease of my wife and the Rest of my goods and chattels I give to my wife Margaret whom I make Executrix paying all my Debts and Legacies and funeral Expenses Supervisors of this my Last will and testament I appoint Henry Denison and Robert Denison and Anthony Denison and Leonard Metchal [&] give to them twelve pence a piece to see this my Last will performed

William Denison

Thomas Jackson jurat

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The Inventory of all the Goods and chattels belonging to William Denison of Harrad in Whinfell and in the County of Westmorland prized the Twenty Seventh day of February one Thousand Seven hundred and Eighteen prized by Anthony Denison and Leonard Meachall and George Ayrey and John Lowes

Imprimis purse & apparel 10 00 00
Item cloth 00 10 00
Item Bedstocks and Bedding 4 0 0
Item Chests and Tables 1 5 0
Item Chairs and Cushions Stools 0 6 0
Item wood vessel and other things 1 16 0
Item brass pewter & other things 5 2 0
Item Sacks and pokes 0 10 00
Item Saddles and Bridles 0 10 0
Item meal beef & cheese 4 0 0
Item girdle brandreth 0 7 0
Item a Cupboard 0 10 0
Item plows & plow gear 1 4 0
Item husbandry gear 1 0 0
Item Carts wheels and wheel wood 1 6 0
Item hay & corn 7 10 0
Item Beasts 42 0 0
Item Horses ? 0 0
Item Sheep in all 26 10 0
Item manure and peat 1 0 0
Item Bigg (barley) ? 6 ?
_____________
117 12 8

Debts owing by the deceased 56 0 5
Then _____ _____ 61 12 3


Latin:
7 Martii 1718 ………………
………………………………..
…………………Margrettam Dennison
Executrix………………defunct………..
…………………..………………….…….
……….
Marma: _ambert
………………..

No comments: