Current Weather at Strickley

Thursday 7 April 2011

Out to grass

This morning I missed one of my favourite events. The milk cows went out for the first time after being inside all winter. I believe there was the usual giddiness and kicking of heels but none was captured on film. We've been planning turnout all week, just waiting for the ground to dry up a bit. It's not that we're running short of silage, but we want to graze three fields that we're going to reseed. We are going to sow Triticale, undersown with grass and the current pasture needs to be eaten off before ploughing. In case you wondering about Triticale, click this link to watch a video all about it. (Sorry - not the most exciting film in the world!).

I was on Red Alert to film turnout, but in the end I was tied up turning 5 loaves and 2 fishes into dinner for five. As I had no loaves and no fish it was a casserole and crumble from the freezer. Two visitors from Australia (New South Wales) called in to see our herd. They were "just passing" and detoured off the M6 on the way to Scotland.

It is a lovely warm sunny day; but unfortunately I can't tell how warm, as we haven't fixed our thermometer issue.

No comments: