Current Weather at Strickley

Saturday 21 December 2013

Another milestone

Today I am older than I was yesterday. Not just a few hours or a day older, but a year older. I can no longer sing that well known song heralding "old age" as something way in the future. Are there any songs about being sixty five? It's rather a transitional age - women of my age could have been claiming their pension for five years, while their male counterparts were just qualifying. (And that will no longer apply). I could still have been at work (but I chose to retire three years ago). Retirement is maybe not the correct term - more something like, stopped going OUT to work.

As befits someone at an age that was once considered really really old, I have had a lazy day.

I slept in (till 8.30!) and Henry made breakfast (after he, poor old pensioner had been working for two and a half hours).
I opened my presents - an amazing selection - something for the inner body (and mind) as well as the outside - and much more apt cards than I ever find.
We went for lunch at a local farm shop/café, and this afternoon I have been doing nothing more strenuous than playing with my latest gadget. (In the end, hints weren't quite enough for Henry, and I had to take him to a local PC store and extol the virtues of what I had my eye on)
And tonight, Henry and I, together with James and family are going out for a celebration supper.

And to finish, a song for the future. Written by John Lennon, but sung here by Glenn Campbell

No comments: