Current Weather at Strickley

Thursday 5 December 2013

A day of two halves

If you have been looking at our weather page, you will have seen the wind speeds today - up to 76 mph. As far as we can tell there's no damage at Strickley, but James had to nip up New Hutton Lane to saw up a fallen branch, and Henry was diverted on his way back from the auction (fallen tree on Oxenholme Brow).

Back home I was getting a bit wound up as the stove struggled to get going. There seemed to be a malicious force putting it out every time there was a glimmer of a flame. It probably didn't help that the wind was blowing down the chimney.

Meanwhile the computer was having a bad day. Not exactly not working, but a fan was making excessive noise. Even with some music turned up high I knew it was not quite right. I do backup regularly (half a lifetime in IT taught me that), but if it was about to expire I wanted copies of the work I had done yesterday (certificates for the North West Regional Herd Competition).

But all has calmed down now (even me). After dinner we removed the cover of the PC tower and saw what I expected - a very large quantity of dust. Judicious use of a vacuum cleaner (I remembered not to say "Hoover"), and twice as long trying to get the side back on the runners, and it's running smoothly and silently.

The wind has shifted direction and calmed down and the fire is burning brightly. Panic over.

P.S. - this morning we brought in the last of our stock - 12 heifers and a bull. So everything is warm and dry inside now for Winter) but not too warm, as that can lead to problems).

No comments: