Current Weather at Strickley

Saturday 19 October 2013

Last night

Last night we went to The Brewery Arts Centre. Months ago I bought tickets for Midge Ure, not really sure what to expect, but thinking it was an opportunity not to be missed. How glad I was that I did. It was an uplifting amazing gig. His voice seemed stronger than ever and soared around the room. I would have said "to the rafters" - but the rafters in The Malt Room are not very high. It was just one man, a guitar and a voice. Armed with a set of songs I had forgotten I knew. I like to be near the front - especially at The Brewery which is not raked seating, and has pillars to block the view from some seats - and by early booking we were in the middle of the front row.

I took a few photos of the set etc, but none during the performance - it would have been too distracting and off putting. It was a very simple set - a microphone stand and a guitar.


This is Henry's feet to show how near we were.


The set list was typed in large print and laid on the floor.


The set for the support (Steve Rodgers) was a bit fancier.

 
 
We arrived in plenty of time, so had a drink in the bar first. Maybe we should have done what a couple at the end of our row did - they had an ice bucket and champagne (two bottles - not that I was counting) - during the performance.
 
And a slight moan or two - why must venues put back the doors opening time, when you've given up your seat in the bar and are standing in the foyer. And why must a large party in the row behind us talk among themselves during the performance.
 
But neither of those issues detracted from a very good night out.

No comments: