Current Weather at Strickley

Friday 18 October 2013

A busy time ahead

The main event is the Shorthorn Society's Annual Show & Sale at Chelford - click here for the catalogue. Don't forget you can also get in touch with us (see contact tab) for information about the Strickley heifers.

The heifers are all halter trained, washed and clipped ready for James to take them down on Sunday night. They'll have the chance to settle overnight  and James will have time to give them a final wash in the morning before the Show at 09:00.

Henry and James are busy getting everything ready for the stock (and James) - feed, bedding, Show Box etc. The Landrover will be packed to capacity.

Sunday will be a long day for James as straight after morning milking he's going on a First Responders advanced course and will get home just in time to drive down to Chelford.

As we're so busy (it's monthly accounts time for me) I had an Asda delivery instead of going shopping. I know I haven't got everything I want, (it's different looking at pictures online, and I like to buy meat from Booths or a butchers), but I did get some bargains.

e.g. strange pricing of Clover (used extensively in my baking)
500 g for £2.00
or
1 kilo for £2.00.

Guess which I bought 5 tubs of?

And it must be getting nearer to Christmas - large boxes of Jacobs "Biscuits for Cheese" are back in stock. Does no one eat many crackers from January to October?

But - time to relax tonight - Midge Ure at The Brewery. Do you know who he is? Do you remember Ultravox? Yesterday I went to see my old colleagues at Lakeland (armed with home made biscuits). I told them about my exciting social life (i.e. upcoming gigs). Blank looks from the 30-something boys. "He was in Ultavox" - "no", says one "this means nothing to me". He looked a bit amazed when one of the "girls" spread her arms wide and sang "Oh Vienna. . . " Out of the mouths of babes.

No comments: