Current Weather at Strickley

Sunday 27 January 2013

Worn out and dusty.

Worn out and dusty - that could apply to me or my books. I'm a hoarder of many things, including books. I've got almost all the books I've bought since I was a teenager (and some from before that), and I'm still buying (though not as many now that I'm a poor pensioner). Some are looking a bit worn and tattered now (especially those that were bought secondhand when I was a poor student), but are still readable, and I couldn't get rid of them. I do reread them - going through an author's output in chronological order - and it doesn't really matter that I've read them before. We've got several bookcases - some older than the books - spread throughout the house, and in theory the fiction books are stored alphabetically. But lately they've started to spread and pile up haphazardly. We've got A Bit Of A Do coming up soon to celebrate the Robinson Twins' significant birthday, so have got to get our house in order. So, I've spent the afternoon moving heaps of books upstairs and downstairs, so they are all more or less in the right place. Fortunately the non-fiction are much tidier, and the children's books (mine and our childrens') are at least in the right bookcases.

This may sound like a case for a Kindle - but it's definitely not - I love my books in all their tatty glory.

Edit - I also like crisp and clean new books!

No comments: