Current Weather at Strickley

Monday 7 January 2013

PPL

Anyone who knows me well, knows that I'm not very good with plants. Even keeping them at arm's length isn't always a safe option. Having tactfully negotiated a way out of receiving a "thank you plant" I was unexpectedly given another. Not just any old plant, but a Poinsettia, my nemesis. Luckily I was able to donate it to a good home. My niece was looking for plants to help decorate her house and willingly removed it to a place of safety. But then, fate intervened once more. My daughter-in-law Claire gave me another. Maybe knowing the dangers involved to plants at Strickley, she unwrapped it, put in in a cachepot (I know the posh words) and watered it. I swear I never touched it, but as soon as they went home to Derbyshire the Poinsettia started to droop. Maybe it was pining. It didn't lack for sun - the hall windowsill gets as much sun as peeks through the clouds; it wasn't in a draught - we had plenty of warmth over Christmas; it wasn't under or over watered - the compost was just moist. But by we took down the decorations yesterday, it had shed most of it's leaves and was looking pretty miserable.

So please, spare a thought for innocent plants and support the PPL - Poinsettia Protection League.

Sorry Rob and Claire - I did try (and I did enjoy the chocolates!)

1 comment:

derekt said...

A poinsettia needs light but not sun; not very much water (a soaking when the soil gets dry); and should be set on a gravel base, so the soaking doesn't leave it sitting in a pool of water.

That's the expert advice; however, as Judith will confirm, I've killed or brought close to death many many plants (the latest an expensive lemon tree that is, through her ministrations, just holding)!