Current Weather at Strickley

Thursday 14 July 2011

Changing the habit of a lifetime

A confession.My name is Kathleen and I'm a Hoarder.

I've been a hoarder almost all my life (and if I could have spoken out in my pram it would probably have been all my life).
I've got shelves of children's books from the Fifties (as well as almost every book I've bought since then - and yes, I do go back and reread them).
I've got my dolls (and their hand made clothes) and  toys that weren't given away by my elders and betters.
I've got some of Henry's toys - train set and Bayko; but no one complains about that.
I'm storing (on behalf of our children) lots of their toys, books and games. But this is easily justified when the grandchildren come round.

Over the past forty one years we're acquired a vast amount of crockery etc, from my great great grandmother's Breakfast Set, Seventies dinner sets and mismatched cast offs, to Ikea sets. Not much has been thrown away. The advantage (and disadvantage) of a big house, is that there's always somewhere to put stuff. Recently I rescued a lot of plates form the cellar that I had forgotten about, and today I discovered another hoard at the back of a deep cupboard. Then there are the dishes piled high on top of cupboards - too high up for me to reach and use. But today I decided enough's enough and started to tackle all the surplus. I assembled everything and sorted it -
a - too cracked and broken; throw away
b - OK, but I don't really need it - Freecycle it
c - why am I not using this! Put in a handier place.

I've got a wheelie bin in the kitchen and I've been throwing stuff in all morning. I've also been washing, polishing and photographing the stuff for Freecycle.

Could this be a new leaf, a start of a new ruthless me? Time will tell.

No comments: