Current Weather at Strickley

Tuesday 19 August 2008

Flash, Bang, Wallop

Last night we were quietly sitting round the kitchen table, discussing plans for the future (a wide ranging discussion taking in seed mixtures, bull types, wind turbines and of course the weather) when the sky, which had been steadily darkening, burst into life with streaks of lightening. A few moments later came the rumble of thunder. I rushed and unplugged the router and phone line. I would rather be incommunicado while the storm lasted than have the equipment damaged. After a while the weather calmed down and I plugged everything back in again. Too hasty! Another flash of lightening and clap of thunder - much nearer this time. Once again everything was unplugged. Later when I was really sure that the storm had passed I went to reconnect. Problem - no lights on the router. I switched it off and on, checked the wall socket, but no joy. Now this is where my Girl Guide training comes in (or paranoia). A few weeks ago I started to worry about the router failing and bought a "Hot Spare" (as similar to the old one as possible) and noted down all the settings etc. So I got it out of the box and plugged it in and dialled into it. The settings were laid out slightly differently but eventually it seemed to be set up correctly. So, time to test - log onto the BBC. No joy. Looking at the router status it seemed to be stuck at "connecting". With panic starting to set in (how will we cope without an Internet connection!) I started to think of other things that may have gone wrong - ie the phone line. That was it - no connection on the voice line, so probably none on the ADSL either. By now it was too late and too dark to phone BT (no mobile signal in the house) so the problem was put on hold till today.

So, if you're looking for the latest Strickley weather, I'm sorry, but it stopped uploading at 7.45 last night.

In the light of day it transpires that Wellbank's phones are also off, so we are in BT's hands. Further updates will follow.

No comments: