Current Weather at Strickley

Friday 9 January 2015

Old technology and new resources

Well not really old technology as it seems to be experiencing a bit of a renaissance. I've always had a record player, or Turntable as it's usually called now. I think it would be 1961 when I got my first one for either Christmas or Birthday (or maybe combined, though my parents were not as cruel as someone who bought me one flipper for my Birthday and left me to guess what I would get for Christmas four days later).

This was the latest must have music player, as you could stack up to six records on the spindle, and they dropped down and played one by one. It saved you having to swap records every two or three minutes (songs were shorter then). It wasn't a perfect system as sometimes two would clatter down at once. But I could play the records I'd bought with Record Tokens or hard earned Saturday job money. At the time I was a shop girl in Currys, who not only sold electricals (radios etc) but bikes and toys. I think I got 2/6 an hour. So an eight hour day earned me £1. Singles were then 6/8 so if I felt like splurging out I could buy three. Or save up for an EP at 10/6, or an LP at over a £1.

Even then I never threw anything out, so we still have a lot of Sixties singles. By the Seventies married life and children meant there was less disposable income and I only bought occasional LPs (or albums as there were beginning to be called).

We now had a flashier looking record player (but you could only load one record at a time), with the ubiquitous teak finish.Eventually we "moved on" to cassette tapes (I still have a large collection of course) and eventually CD's. In fact I bought a CD (The Definitive Simon and Garfunkel) just before we bought a CD player. This was not just a CD player, but a complete system - twin cassettes, FM/AM radio, 6 CD changer and of course a turntable. We bought a smart (pine this time) cabinet to put it all in - one that had room for all the records as well. It started off at Over Bleaze and has moved via the Strickley kitchen to the sitting room.

When we decorated (and knocked out a window to make a new door to get the new settees in last year) we reconnected all the bits and pieces and speakers and checked it out. Of course it still worked (no inbuilt obsolescence). The needle didn't seem too good, so I checked the manual for the model number (never throw manuals away), and used the new resources (re the Blog title) and found a supplier on Ebay. Three days later it was good as new.

We don't play records very often, but I like to know we can. I bought a new "Vinyl" copy of an album  at a gig last October, and at Christmas bought Henry a sought after album that never made it to CD. So as we were  taking down the decorations I got that one out to play. But maybe because we had been ignoring it for a few months, the turntable didn't turn. But with the aid of the Troubleshooting in the manual - and Ebay - we got a new belt and last night had a Shadows EP blasting out (it was the first one that came to hand).

Sorry - it's turned into a bit of a self indulgent ramble - but on a wet and windy day there's not much farming to report on.

And P.S - if anyone wants to offload old records please let me know. You can even come round and listen to them.

No comments: