Current Weather at Strickley

Saturday 2 March 2013

Looking back a wall

Last week on the Westmorland Gazette's Nostalgia page there was an article about Newton Rigg, with a photograph of walling. We have a print and tried to identify the people on it.


On the left at the front is Henry's Uncle Wilson, so Arthur asked him about his recollections of the day. He was able to name everyone and then had his photo taken by the wall (still standing) as it is now.

 
He has also written to The Gazette with his memories, so in case they don't print it, or as a sneak preview, here's a copy of the letter.

 
I looked with great interest at the picture of a walling class on the Nostalgia page of the 21st February edition of the WG because the person second from the left happens to be myself now aged 96. Sadly all the other people in the photograph have passed on.
The class was actually one of a series organised by Hutton YFC and took place around spring 1936. I think the Cumberland and Westmorland Farm School (Newton Rigg) funded them. I remember that one of the main items of conversation on the day was my girlfriend Phyllis whom I married in 1938. We moved from my home at Strickley, New Hutton, to farm at Over Bleaze in 1939 and then to High Bracken Hall, Gatebeck, in 1945. My son Stephen now farms there.
On the far left of the photo is Wilson Park who lived at Town House, Old Hutton, and then moved to farm at Drybeck, Killington. He was the chairman of Hutton YFC.
Third from the left is Edward Capstick whose family farmed the land where the class was held. He took over the farm from his father and died just before Christmas 2012 at the age of 96. His son Stephen now farms Bridge House in Old Hutton.
Fourth from the left is Jim Thompson, a first class competition waller, from Far Audlands, Preston Patrick, and was the instructor for the classes.
James Waller is next. He was a young lad then and his family farmed Middleshaw Hall, Old Hutton. They later moved to Beck Mills at Skelsmergh.
Bending down in front of the wall is my cousin Len Robinson from Canny Brow Foot, Gatebeck, which he later farmed until his death. He became very interested in walling and went on to win many walling competitions so he was often called a ‘medal waller’.
On the far right is my brother Willie Robinson who farmed Strickley, New Hutton. His son Henry and grandson James still farm there.
Finally, I thought you might like to see what the wall is like after 77 years so I have attached a photo of it with me standing in roughly the same position as I was in 1936. It looks a bit wrinkled but I think it has stood the test of time fairly well.
Yours sincerely
Wilson Robinson


No comments: