Current Weather at Strickley

Wednesday 5 December 2012

At last . . .

. . . I'm getting organised. I've bought all the presents and cards (just need to wrap and write!), vaguely thought about menus (turkey, ham and beef in freezer) and today I'm making a Christmas cake. My cooking is a mixture of traditional and hi-tech; 50+ year old Aga (no other cooker or microwave); old balance scales with imperial weights (in fact I have three sets to cover all eventualities from half ounces to several pounds of potatoes), but also the latest digital scales (the sort you put your mixing bowl on and zero etc); large Kenwood mixer and Magimix processor; bread maker (used every night). But today I used the most basic of equipment - a large stone bowl and my hand. The mixture for the Christmas cake won't fit in the Kenwood bowl, so once a year I use a very large stoneware bowl and beat and mix with my hand.


Then scoop into into an old cake tin, that my grandmother had made by a blacksmith. I've been making cakes in it for over forty years, and as far as I can remember, with no disasters. All I have to do now is to remember to put it in the bottom oven of the Aga to cook overnight (about ten hours or so).


 

No comments: