Current Weather at Strickley

Wednesday 27 June 2012

Keeping up with technology

Until about eighteen months ago I was well in touch with the latest technology - not just the real commercial stuff, but the latest gizmos and gadgets. Working in a vibrant IT department among mainly 30-something "boys" I was kept up to date (and not just with technology). But since retirement, though I've kept my hand in with all the farm stuff that depends on the computer, and amused myself with the website and blog, and of course the weather station and wildlife camera, I know there is a lot of stuff that has passed me by. But last month I took a great leap and bought a smartphone and I'm gradually realising it does have it's uses beyond phone calls and texts. When we were on holiday last month we used it to find a caravan dealer, and it showed us the best route. It also somehow twisted my arm to buy a caravan  . . . .

Last night we watched "Today at Wimbledon" and as the credits rolled a song was played - nothing to do with tennis, but it made me sit up and say "what was that?". By then the programme had finished and we couldn't remember any of the words. Never mind. With a few clocks of the mouse I loaded up BBC i-player and whizzed to the end of the programme. I pointed my phone at the speaker and opened the App "Soundhound". Back came the answer with all the information I could have wanted. (It was I Won't Give Up by Jason Mraz).

Have you seen the square barcodes in magazine adverts? QR (Quick Response code) lets you scan the barcode and go straight to a barcode. To see this in action look at this BBC news item and read about Lady Shamrock. I'm not sure it would work on a Shorthorn though.

No comments: