Current Weather at Strickley

Thursday 9 June 2011

Back online

Last night I got the new weather station talking to the computer. And this afternoon I have got the computer talking to the website.

So if you click on   here  you can see how hot/cold/wet/dry or windy it is at Strickley. Or you can open the Strickley Weather tab below the picture of cows and click on the link on that page. Or - click on the link on the right - "Strickley Weather" - so many ways!

As I said yesterday, we have moved to a completely different weather station. It came with it's own software (Weatherlink) which I thought I might use. But I don't like the look of the charts and graphics. It's very "blocky" and almost childlike. I know that design is very subjective (and I'm not the most artistic in the family), but I prefer something subtler. But of course looks aren't everything, and I thought it didn't show as much information as I'm used to. The information was there; but not always where or the way I expected. Maybe I've been hasty, but I've gone back to the software (Weather Display) I used before.

The data now should be much more accurate and I'm confident will continue to flow seamlessly.

I'm still tinkering with the web setup - there's things I want to tweak a bit, but the basic data will stay the same.

Just a word of warning - the updates to the website only happen when my computer is switched on. I won't be leaving it on all night. So between about 10 pm and 8 pm there will be no updates. (The timings may change, depending on how late I stay up, and when I get up ).But the data is stored on the weather console, so as soon as I start up the program all the overnight data flows to the computer and onto the website. And - we've started with a clean sheet from Day One. The history doesn't show on this version.

If you have any comments please let me know.

No comments: