Current Weather at Strickley

Wednesday 24 February 2010

Easily Tempted

.
Life on a dairy farm, especially in winter, doesn't give much opportunity for days out. So when Henry rang me at work last week and asked if I fancied a day out in the country, with the added attraction of a free (hot) lunch I was easily swayed. I checked the rota at work and as no one else was gallivanting off I could take a day off.

When I got home and read the flyer that had prompted this invitation I began to have doubts. It was for a day at Greystoke Castle, organised by FWAG and Natural England called "Energise Your Farm Business". It was a day of talks, trade stands and demonstrations on, among other things, saving energy. Now as we are hoping, and starting to investigate, a wind turbine, we felt it could offer some useful leads. But I could envisage striding up hill and down dale, and lots of standing around in a draughty and probably muddy farm yard.

But not wanting to look too much of a wimp I enjoyed the sleep in (till 7:30) and agreed to go. We could see snow not too far away from us, but assumed the roads would be clear. And they were (at least two lanes of the M6 had been ploughed and gritted). The road from Greystoke village across what I assume is parkland to the castle, was OK for those of us with 4 wheel drives (most farmers) and there was a tarmaced area to park. I was wrong about tramping up and down hills - everything was centred in one area. And I was wrong about the muddy farmyard - it was covered in snow.

It took a bit to get going as everyone had struggled to get there, but a large barn/shed/workshop (obviously used for training courses) was divided into bays and a few exhibitors had set up stalls. The main talks (accompanied by the ubiquitous Powerpoint presentations) were at one end. At first I thought "good it's inside" - but I have never been as cold in my life (certainly not inside). It was a well ventilated building (very healthy) with no additional heat. When we ventured outside the feeble heat of the sun seemed almost tropical.

We picked up some leads to follow up, and the hot pie and mash was very welcome, but it was wonderful to get back into a warm comfy car.

This is the view looking down towards the car park.

No comments: