Current Weather at Strickley

Tuesday 14 July 2009

What's the connection?

What's the connection between The Great Yorkshire Show and Leonard Cohen?

The answer - 14th July.

I have been a fan of Leonard Cohen's since my college days in the Sixties. I've put up with a fair amount of ridicule from people who don't understand, but gradually the music seeps unnoticed into your consciousness, and I've caught Henry (almost) singing along to tracks in the car. I never thought I would get the chance to see him in concert (last year the tour dates clashed with Henry on crutches), and I always held back from suggesting buying tickets for something that was really just for me. But a couple of months ago I took the plunge and bought almost the last two seats at Liverpool Arena. For a few hours I was happy and full of anticipation, until we realised it was the same day as the Great Yorkshire - at which James was judging. Back to earth with a shattering bump. Cows need milking. Milking needs at least one farmer. Concert too far away to go after milking. So, tickets sold and dreams put aside.

But tonight will be Leonard Cohen night at Strickley. I have the DVD "Live in London"; so I'm taking the phone off the hook, dimming the lights and imagining what might have been.

No comments: