Current Weather at Strickley

Saturday 10 January 2009

Back to Reality

Time has slipped quietly by and I'm back at work. It's as if I've never been away. No magic fairy has been in and done any of my work. Does this mean I wouldn't be missed if I was not here at all? Or have I got my routines so streamlined that they run effortlessly on their own? I like to think the answers are No and Yes. There's always something new waiting for me to plunge into, while the daily background jobs (usually) work with minimal intervention.

The real work of course is done at Strickley - and no farm activities run on their own. Over Christmas Henry and James did have a couple of days when they just did the bare necessities (only 5 - 6 hours work), but whatever the season stock needs feeding and mucking out, cows need milking. Cows are served, calves are born. And in between it all there's muck to spread and while we have such "good" weather, hedges to lay.

The number of stock is more or less the same all year, but it's balanced out by pluses and minuses - calves are born, bull calves are sold, some older cows leave on their last journey (Strickley beef in a butchers somewhere next week).

No comments: