Current Weather at Strickley

Monday 22 December 2008

Another Year Older . . .

The weekend went by in a whirl and I'm back at my desk trying to remember it all. One minute there were just two of us dozing by the fire, the next the house was full of children (young and old). We had a very easy going party on Saturday. I activated the Birthday Girl's prerogative and did the food I like (which happened to be easy to prepare), washed down with English-can't-call-it-Champagne. I was completely overwhelmed by the mountain of cards (and emails and texts and flowers), and especially the thought and planning that went into the presents from Henry and the children. Henry knew which hi-tech gadget I secretly yearned for, and Victoria, James and Rob (and families) came up with a complete on-off. From an idea by Victoria, designed by Rob and sourced by James, they created an especially commissioned pendant. No one else has, or will have one like it.
The pace didn't let up on Sunday. After persuading everyone they really only wanted one slice of toast for breakfast, we were able to enjoy a family lunch at a local pub/restaurant.
And then they were gone. After an exchange of brightly wrapped parcels (and I'm still not convinced the right ones went in the right cars) it was back to the two of us.

No comments: