Current Weather at Strickley

Sunday 9 November 2008

Four Greyhounds *

subtitled - I should have taken my camera

Yesterday was a bit of a social whirl for us. In the morning we nipped up the motorway to Cranstons at Penrith to stock up on meat, especially large joints of beef and Pork & Black Pudding sausages. We came back over Shap and stopped off for lunch on the way.It's much pleasanter driving on the A6 with no spray from wagons. It's hard to imagine now that this was the main route to Scotland until the M6 was built. I love coming back down towards Kendal and seeing the views change as the road descends. Yesterday was very foggy on the summit, but as we came down a small clear spot opened up and in the distance the sun was glinting on the sea in Morecambe Bay. If only I'd had my camera . . .

Later in the day Henry left James to finish of the milking while we went south down the motorway to a secret rendezvous in Cheshire. In 1967 I was one of a group of girls fresh from school, and living away from home for the first time, starting teacher training at Edge Hill in Ormskirk. And 41 years on a group of us are still in touch. This is of course a year of Significant Birthdays for most of us and two husbands had remarkably managed to arrange a surprise birthday party for Joan and Sue (I don't mean it is remarkable that they arranged it, but that they managed to keep it secret!). Amongst Sue and Joan's family and friends 9 still young girls from the Sixties held their own in an evening of eating, drinking, dancing (yes, even me) and most of all talking and reminiscing.
If only I'd had my camera I could have shared a photo of Clough's finest -
Joan, Sue, Helen, Celia, Brenda, Pat, Liz, Judith and Kathleen.

* One greyhound
Three greyhounds

No comments: