Current Weather at Strickley

Friday 12 October 2007

Sneak Preview

Tomorrow is the fateful day when I go to meet up with girls (sorry middle aged women) I last saw over 40 years ago. It's the Kendal High School Reunion for the class of 1960 (in most cases those who left after A levels in 1967). It's taken a lot of nerve to fill in my form and send my money, and now there's no going back (unless I want to waste my £26.50). I had a ready made excuse not to go, as I'm scheduled to work tomorrow. But with the good natured agreement of my co-weekend-worker I will be finishing in time for "a celebratory drink and lunch". I've spent longer than I ought this week looking for old school photos - the long ones taken out in the garden (where someone is supposed to be photographed at one end then run round to be captured again at the other). I thought I could just lay my hands on them, but despite looking in every drawer, cupboard and box from cellar to loft and every room in between, they've vanished. No doubt they will turn up unexpectedly when I'm looking for something else. I'm told I won't have trouble identifying anyone as we will be wearing name badges (in large print!).

It's not entirely true to say I've not seen anyone since the day I threw my hat in the river as I crossed the footbridge for the last time, as I've kept in touch with a couple of girls (and yes, we are still girls at heart). And if any of them are reading this, they'll now know what to expect for supper tomorrow night (when we continue the "celebratory drinks" at Strickley), as I've just about finished making supper. It has to be simple and foolproof, and ready to reheat tomorrow night. There'll be no time for fancy touches tomorrow morning if I'm to be in work at 6.00 am.


Supper Menu
.
Fish Pie
Green & Red Salad
Multigrain Bread
.
Sticky Toffee Pudding
with loads of extra sauce!
* UPDATE *
Pudding now out of the oven - the worst I've ever made - pale and flat (more biscuity looking than pudding looking). I could smother it in sauce, but that's also not looking it's best - seems to have separated. Lots of vigorous beating coming up. Must be because I very carefully weighed everything. Oh, well, there's always raspberries and ice cream.
.

* * UPDATE 2 * *

Another pudding in hand - can't risk my reputation! This time, no precise measuring and maybe a G & T on the side may help!

* * * UPDATE 3 * * *

Yes! If at first you don't succeed - give the first attempt away, and have another go. Looks OK. Proof of the pudding tomorrow night.

No comments: