Current Weather at Strickley

Wednesday 15 August 2007

Soundtrack

Driving to work on my own means I can listen to what I want as loud as I want (and repeat it as often as I want if it's a particular good track). I've copied a hundred or so songs to mp3 and put them on CD's for the car. By setting the playlist to "random" I am constantly surprised and usually (as I chose the songs in the first place) delighted by what plays.
I'm also sometimes struck by the aptness of the music. Last week my journey home was a nightmare - the M6 was closed both ways and all traffic was diverted through Kendal. The town and all approaches were gridlocked by the sort vehicle not intended for our roads. So what was on the CD player? Road to Hell (Chris Rea) of course. The extended live version from his last tour - definitely one to turn the volume up. And last night the rain was horrendous (look at the graphs on our weather site to see how much came down per hour). Somehow the right music came on - Bob Dylan's "A Hard Rain's Gonna Fall". I just hope the first song this morning isn't a warning of what's to come - "Thunder Road".

No comments: